Headteacher Performance Management
“There is a statutory duty for governing bodies to appoint an external adviser for the purpose of providing it with advice and support in relation to the appraisal of the headteacher (Regulation 4 of the Education (School Teachers’ Appraisal) (England) Regulations 2012). Governing bodies are responsible for determining who they wish to use as an adviser for the appraisal of the headteacher.”
EES for Schools provides an ‘external adviser’ service for Headteacher Performance Management. The service provides high quality advice and support for the headteacher performance management process. It enables schools and their Governing Bodies to fulfil statutory requirements in relation to headteacher performance management.
We offer highly-trained, effective external adviser support through our very experienced leadership advisers. They support Governing Bodies to undertake rigorous performance management processes which contribute to improving outcomes for pupils in individual schools.
We strive to ensure that the Performance Review is a valuable process for all parties, supporting governors to ensure that objectives set contribute effectively to the drive of school improvement and also supports the professional development of the headteacher, so that they are well-equipped to lead the school forward.
To support the process, we offer:
- appropriate documentation for recording the review process and objective setting
- guidance and advice to the appointed governors in exploring a range of evidence so that judgements made regarding the progress towards objectives set are formed objectively
- a meeting with the headteacher to discuss evidence and their view of performance against the objectives and overall performance during the last year
- a meeting with the review panel to discuss governors views, the evidence presented and to provide advice on objectives for the coming year
- a review of performance with the panel and headteacher to reach a judgement against objectives and the headteacher’s overall performance
- advice and support for setting appropriate objectives for the coming year, with clear success criteria and measurable milestones for evaluating progress
- advice on relevant professional development
The external adviser will draft the performance review statement for the governors.
I appreciate your work with me during this process, making it easy and certainly stress-free. I have always found you to be supportive and helpful and I hope we can use you more often over the coming year to support both myself and the team in our quest for a ‘good’ or better school.Linda McSweeney, Headteacher, St. Pius X Catholic Primary School
For more information or to book support please contact us at:
T: 033301 39834
In addition to the programmes listed above, we also provide high quality, flexible adviser support tailored to the individual
needs of your school. Please email us for further information or to discuss your
school or network's needs.
Email Us >>
EES are committed to helping schools achieve the best possible outcomes for all pupils. Our Professional Development team
is part of the range of services we have bought together to work in partnership with you to achieve this.
Learn More >>